[nycbug-talk] www revision

PUTAMARE jeffknight
Sun Jan 25 16:54:28 EST 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, at 4:07 PM, G. Rosamond wrote:
> why?  i would think a decent 4 color logo would work nice. . .when are
> we printing on a regular basis. . .?
>
> but i agree simplicity for the site is key, but with the logo, i'd need
> some convincing. . .4color, funky could only help us in recognition.
> ..tshirts? sticks? etc. . .

Whatever your replication needs are, a one or two-color design is
substantially cheaper than 4-color (CMYK). Post-its, pens, lanyards,
t-shirts, any kind of swag you can think of, really, the cost of
applying the ink is the limiting factor.

As far as recognition goes, simpler is actually more recognizable than
complicated. Look around you, and you'll see that most logos (except
for open source groups) are made to look good in one color (sometimes
two). If you have a single color logo, you can do a lot with it, if not
you end up being stuck. Look at O'REILLY (a two-color logo), Verizon,
IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, UPS. They do a lot while staying easy to print
and aren't much more than type treatments.

While I'm at it I'd also advise staying away from the
"representational". It often makes things look cheesy, and again limits
your options for future growth. No offense to the guy that suggested an
apple, but what if NYLUG, NYPHP, and any other NYC based user group all
independently decided to put LUG, PHP, etc. inside of apples and all
showed up a LinuxWorld next year?

As an aside, can we get the From of this list set to
talk at lists.nycbug.org and not whomever posted? I just sent
george at sddi.net this message.

Jeff Knight
jeff not junkmail at lushmedia.com