[nycbug-talk] reply-munging (was: www revision)

Trish Lynch trish
Mon Jan 26 10:17:54 EST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> PUTAMARE <jeffknight at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > As an aside, can we get the From of this list set to
> > talk at lists.nycbug.org and not whomever posted? I just sent
> > george at sddi.net this message.
>
> Please don't.  Google for ``reply-to munging''.
>
> -Jan
>
> --
> Tradition is the illusion of permanence. -- Woody Allen

Lets *not* get into this. This is a strictly religious argument on the
level of vi vs. emacs.

There are reasons to have reply-to: fields, and the reasons are especially
when you want to direct all mail replied to list mail to the list.

THis relies on your client not being broken, and not the headers.

I'm not going to have this argument here, but there are valid reasons for
it, and lets not start this stuff again. It happens on every list I've run
or been on, and thats saying  "over 200".

-Trish (who writes damned mailing list manager software)

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16