[nycbug-talk] the lists. . .

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Wed Jan 28 08:48:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:36:16 -0500
michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:44:23 -0500
> "G. Rosamond" <george at sddi.net> wrote:
>
> > okay. ..how about this. . .
> >
> > newusers: for new users with basic questions
> >

> I'm uncomfortable with the elitist label 'newuser'.  Where would you
> post *your* questions?  Do you even have questions anymore, have you
> stopped learning, George? <grin>
>
> "support" is a bridge.

"support" is kind of elitist also, after all there are those that provide support and those who ask for it.  Also what if I want to have
a technical discussion where does it go?  To beat the dead horse of "tech" the list it is a place to put support questions after all, "why
cann't I start X?" is technical and so is "what do you think of the new
features in *BSD ver X?"

> "support" sounds -inclusive-... not -us&them-.
> "support" is a welcome place where you get answers not RTFM.
>
> My List of Lists
> admin 		- not public - administrative list

I do not think we have the user base for it, possibly later
if admin stuff swamps the list it can fork off.  Right now
if you need to highlight admin requests just put [Admin] in
the subject for the first message.

marc

> Provided this gets wildly popular, like we all hope, the support
> structure can be expanded to support.hardware, support.installation,
> support.desktop, support.grid, etc.. The same goes for the admin list.
>  The small group of people re-working the web site may want a private
>  list composed of non-admin people: admin.website.  Or another group
>  may be plotting: admin.ShutMichealUp

In all honesty if this get really popular I would like to turn it into a
news server instead of mailing lists or web board, That way if I go away
for 2 weeks I do not get mail bombed when I check it and important
messages do not get rejected because my mailbox is full.  Again outlook,
outlook express, thunderbird have very easy news client setups as does
emacs.  Just do not expire news and instant archive, slap a web front
end for searching/reading/posting and you are done.

marc