[nycbug-talk] Taking the plunge to self-employment

Francisco Reyes lists
Thu Jan 29 15:35:28 EST 2004

As a new year present my employer made me join the unemployment line. :-(

Although I keep an eye on the market and have been sending resumes, I am
considering trying to work for myself.. I am on my second consulting
company (had to close the first due to having issues with partners). I
have a handfull of clients that produce steady, but relatively little,
income.

Anyone else has gone self-employed in the last few years in the NYC area?
Specially in the computer area.

As for health insurance, one of my clients is going to see if he can help
me by including me into his health insurance as a part time employee.

The most difficult part for me is going to be without a doubt learning to
market myself and looking for new clients. Although I have been doing
consulting for 10+ years it was always a side venture and new clients were
always referals.

I am also looking for business forums. Anyone knows of any? In particular
small business or entepreneur forums.