[nycbug-talk] Interesting

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Jul 1 03:11:00 EDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 3:03 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> I'm not aware of any major applications or OS distributions including
>> this functionality yet. It's not really interesting until someone
>> does the work to integrate it so you can connect FreeBSD box and a
>> Mac and just have them start talking.
>
> Doesn't Apple's open source mDNSResponder work on other platforms?

It does, yes- I installed up both the apple package, and howl months
back- but it wasn't pretty IMO, and I haven't done it since.  With
that, I also had trouble figuring out how to do stuff like getting ssh
to function using rendevousz naming, (i.e. ssh hostname.local), and was
confounded by the whole setup procedure- all for something which I
wanted to simplify my life- so I gave up.

If you have any ideas on how to make some of the things which are
common/sane builtins easy to work with rendevousz, I'm all ears- but
this is what I was speaking of before, where Apple, in their own
interest (in getting their boxen into mixed unix enviornments), reaches
out and helps push this kind of thing along to make it work in a more
out-of-the-box style for some other unixes...

or am I missing something?

Rocket-
.ike