[nycbug-talk] brief USENIX report

Trish Lynch trish
Thu Jul 1 08:27:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:

> Well, Jesse and I have been in Boston at USENIX since early Monday
> afternoon.
>
> Jesse is heading back to NYC tonight, and I'll be here until Friday.
>
> We have only some a little time in the meetings.  Last nights meeting
> by Kirk McKusick and Pete Salus about the history of UNIX was the only
> full meeting I have personally attended so far. . .and it was
> brilliant.  Lots of stuff on the earlier notions of 'open source'
> development with programs such as vi, the legal BSD battles, etc.

Kirk's history meetings are always great, see my USENIX report in Daemon
News like years ago (1999 I think, in Monterey)

> We have gotten to know so so many people.  Great conversations with
> Michael Lucas, Eric Allman, Scott Long of FBSD, Bosco of FBSD, Andrew
> who lives in Queens and is a NetBSD developer. . .so many very cool
> people.

USENIX is great for that :) I miss everyone actually.

> Since we were in the publisher's area with BSDMall/DN, we were with
> Addison Wesley, ORA and No Starch.  We had many extended discussions
> with all of the publishers.

Bill Pollack from No Starce is a trip, eh?

> We hopefully can have Kirk McKusick do a special meeting in October,
> when he's in the city. . .it will coincide with the updating of The
> Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System. . .being
> released by Addison Wesley in the next couple of months.

That would be great, it would be nice seeing Kirk again... its been since
2k1.

> Everyone who has an iBook or a PowerBook now has a Daemon sticker. .
> .of course.
>
> Jesse spent some quality time with Daryl, a NetBSD developer, trying to
> dual boot his OSX PowerBook with NetBSD, and is just caught up with
> keyboard issues.

I wonder if they can help me boot NetBSD on my air purifier...

> Anyway, sorry that more of you couldn't make it, but we'll be sure to
> fill you in. . .We have a box of the USENIX magazines for distribution
> at the next meeting. . .

You mean ;login?

Yay!

- -Trish

- --
Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16