[nycbug-talk] mad uptime

Rick Aliwalas rick
Fri Jul 2 11:33:02 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:

> > some other minor stuff.  Went from BIND4, to BIND8, to BIND9 over the
> > years w/o rebooting.  Try that on Windoze!
>
> or on a 'unix-like' system. . .

osx I assume?  I went to the osx class here at usenix and got an extreme
headache keeping up with all the windows/icons/drop-downs etc shown to
administer the box.  It's so much easier to edit a text file - but the
instructor focused on the mac way.  Which is fine but awful hard to
follow - for me at least.

It was mentioned a few times how great it was that apple is embracing
open source and its positive impact etc etc.  As far as I can tell,
apple benefits from oss _far_ more than the other way around.  Funny, I
got flamed by some folks in the class when I innocently asked (ok, trolled)
what applications are they running that warrant a G5 server as opposed to a
*BSD box.  They came at me hard w/ the old windows argument that unix
cmd-line is too cryptic, the learning curve is to high, its easier to
train admins to use a gui,...

The highlight of the class was when the instructor ran the following cmd
from a Terminal :

	% ls -l | say

-rick