[nycbug-talk] switch advice?

Jesse Callaway jesse
Tue Jul 13 02:56:03 EDT 2004

Layer 2 aka 'dumb switch' buyer's guide:

Reasonably good feature: dual power supplies
Great feature: jumbo frames

Reasonably good and Great are interchangable depending on your needs.
If I was an old bastard I would say your mileage may vary or something
cute like that. But it's not a car.

Netgear is the best high-end low-end stuff there is I think.

Go with the GS524T, I did and now I live in my own home and even have
time to play tennis with the kids and do a little gardening. When I'm
feeling guilty I call up at work and ask, "How's the network?"... wait
that was when i had a job.... uh... anyway...
Performance (64 byte packets)
Bandwidth: 48 Gbps (non-blocking)
Forward rate (1000 Mbps port):
    1,480,000 packet per sec
Forward rate (100 Mbps port):
    148,000 packet per sec
Forward rate (10 Mbps port):
    14,800 packet per sec
Latency (1000 to 1000 Mbps): 30 ?s max   <-- not so impressive
MAC addresses: 8,000                           <-- and how many ports?

Standards Compliance
IEEE 802.3i 10BASE-T Ethernet
IEEE 802.3u 100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet
IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
IEEE 802.3x Flow Control

... I'm assuming there's no jumbo frame situation here, but I wouldn't
worry about it. Best part is there is no management, and therefore no
security risk. Dumb switches rule! The only reason to get anything with
any more functionality than this one is if you want to make VLAN's. If
you want to go home and have people like you, then don't make VLAN's.
If you want a great network, then be my guest.

Switches are fun to put in. There's no downtime at all.