[nycbug-talk] first post

Joshua S. Freeman jfreeman
Thu Jul 15 17:26:14 EDT 2004

hi all,

We've just got our first BSD box... it's an ION computing box with about
800GB running freeBSD...

I have ok (5 on a scale of 10) linux-fu and I am writing this on TiBook
running OSX/Darwin.

This box is intended to be our AMANDA backup server to drive our
spectralogic 20 slot tape storage library.

We are running into a couple of problems.

First,  we could not get dhclient to work.

So we gave up on that and i ran ifconfig to give the machine an ip address,
netmask, ran route to give it a gateway address and edited /etc/resolv.conf
and /etc/hosts

Everything should work, and for the most part, things DO work.. except it
STILL can't resolve hostnames.

Also, I noticed that when I rebooted the box, it seemed to have lost the IP
settings in ifconfig.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

J.

--
Joshua S. Freeman
Dir. of Computer Services

intended for a specific individual/group of individuals and a specific
purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not an intended recipient, you
should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited.