[nycbug-talk] first post

Pete Wright pete
Thu Jul 15 18:34:03 EDT 2004

Joshua S. Freeman wrote:

>hi all,
>
>We've just got our first BSD box... it's an ION computing box with about
>800GB running freeBSD...

cool welcome to the cult...erm i mean club ;)

>I have ok (5 on a scale of 10) linux-fu and I am writing this on TiBook
>running OSX/Darwin.
>
>This box is intended to be our AMANDA backup server to drive our
>spectralogic 20 slot tape storage library.

if possible, you may want to check out Bacula (www.bacula.org).  I've
found it to be much easier to run and config that Amanda, and shoot
there are even some folks in the BUG that can help you getting bacula to
run...

>We are running into a couple of problems.
>
>First,  we could not get dhclient to work.

hmm, that's odd.  from a shell you should be able to run:

$ sudo dhclient my_nic_dev

do you get any errors in the logs?

>So we gave up on that and i ran ifconfig to give the machine an ip address,
>netmask, ran route to give it a gateway address and edited /etc/resolv.conf
>and /etc/hosts

to manually set an ethernet address you set that in /etc/rc.conf.  I
would highly suggest you read man (5) rc.conf.  BSD man pages do in fact
rock.

>Everything should work, and for the most part, things DO work.. except it
>STILL can't resolve hostnames.
>
>Also, I noticed that when I rebooted the box, it seemed to have lost the IP
>settings in ifconfig.

setting rc.conf up properlly will prolly address these problems.

>Any advice welcome.

if you have the time you can also swing by #nycbug on irc.freenode.net.
There are usually a couple lurkers there that will be willing to help
out if they have time.

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~