[nycbug-talk] Re: new NYCBUG www site. . .

michael lists
Sat Jul 17 10:33:28 EDT 2004

on 20040717 1:39 AM marco at metm.org had written...

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 01:13:12AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>>I really have to agree with Bob I's comment about fixed width, all
>>dimensions should be relative (cf css em, ex or %), not based on px.
>>

> Very, very few dimensions should be relative.  The only dimension which
> works across all the broken versions of IE is px.

The css gurus swing back and forth on px.
http://www.alistapart.com/
http://realworldstyle.com/
http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/
http://meyerweb.com/

> I for one hate reading sites where the lines are extremely long, there
> have been many studies which show that long lines are much harder to
> read.  Implementing true columns (like a newpaper) is difficult.

Obviously I agree with the long lines thing.. I toyed with the newspaper
design and acutally have an unfinished model.  But, in the end I went
with the blue chicklets.  A good guide for boxes is
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html

> There has to be some tweaking of the style sheets to make everything
> look right, but all in all the design of the new site looks good.

Thanks,
Michael