[nycbug-talk] consult

Pete Wright pete
Thu Jul 22 13:05:22 EDT 2004

Joshua S. Freeman wrote:

>Hey all you BSD people.
>
>We have a brand new ION Computing server with FreeBSD 5.2 installed.
>
>We want to install bacula on it and use it with our spectralogic tape
>library.
>
>Here's the conundrum:
>
>I'm relatively new here...
>
>prior to my arrival, this was mostly a Windoze shop on the desktop and on
>the server side.
>
>My Sysads are very solid windoze sysads and that's fine... they're beginning
>to get comfortable with Linux (as I am)...
>
>now.. we're all gonna start grokking BSD...
>
>so.. back to the conundrum:
>
>We're running out of DLT tapes for our HP ShureStore library (or whatever
>that thing is called)...
>

>I don't want to order new tapes for a tape library I'm going to be
>deprecating.
>
>We HAVE a license for Brightstor... if I let them, the sysads could throw
>Windows Server 2003 on the Ion Computing box and put brightstor on it and
>we'd have the spectralogic up and running by day's end..
>
>but... I'd really rather move in the direction of BSD and Bacula..
>
>Is there anyone out there that'd like to help us properly setup our BSD box
>and get bacula up and running and the spectralogic working?
>
>the important aspect of this is we're looking for someone to teach us to
>fish, not sell us fish..

i'd be willing to give you a hand.  I'm just finishing up my testing on
FreeBSD 4.x and Bacula.  It will be backing up various Linux/IRIX/BSD
boxen on our LAN.  Are there specific questions you have?  The Bacula
mailing list is very active, and everyone is very approachable.  Also
#bacula on irc.freenode.net is running, altho things have been not so
busy lately on that chan.

    Also, is there a reason why you would like to use FreeBSD 5.x
(device driver support?)  5.x has not been deemed production ready yet,
altho I know alot of people are using it in production.  There are some
cases when 5.x will actually be slower that 4.x, at least for now ;)

    They only caveat for me is that I am *very* busy right now at work,
but I will defiantly be willing to help you out if need be.

cheers,
    pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~