[nycbug-talk] SSH client session multiplexing

Okan Demirmen okan
Sun Jul 25 19:16:46 EDT 2004

On Sun 2004.07.25 at 02:33 -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2004, at 5:57 AM, michael wrote:
>
> >I was reading about session multiplexing on undeadly.org and was
> >curious  what advantage this would have over running a single session
> >to a host and running screen on the host.
> >
> >Does anyone have an opinion?
> >Michael
> >

> I'd have to assume that running virtual screens on the host would be
> most efficient in all aspects of the case.

ssh multiplexing and virtual screens are two different things. you
all know what virtual screens are using screen and window, but ssh
multiplexing allows one to, say, open up one control session to
your server then "piggy back" the rest of them over that channel -
the advantage is that one can do anything else over that same
channel: tunneling, more ttys, X forwarding, rsync, cvs, whatever
leveraging that one channel - net gain is performance. basically,
it speeds up all my actions to one server. try it, you'll love it ;)

okan

--
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934