[nycbug-talk] SSH client session multiplexing

Okan Demirmen okan
Sun Jul 25 20:36:42 EDT 2004

On Sun 2004.07.25 at 19:59 -0500, Pete Wright wrote:
> Okan Demirmen wrote:

> >>I'd have to assume that running virtual screens on the host would be
> >>most efficient in all aspects of the case.
> >>

> >ssh multiplexing and virtual screens are two different things. you
> >all know what virtual screens are using screen and window, but ssh
> >multiplexing allows one to, say, open up one control session to
> >your server then "piggy back" the rest of them over that channel -
> >the advantage is that one can do anything else over that same
> >channel: tunneling, more ttys, X forwarding, rsync, cvs, whatever
> >leveraging that one channel - net gain is performance. basically,
> >it speeds up all my actions to one server. try it, you'll love it ;)
> >

> yea, agreed.  but michael was talking about "screen" a gnu utility that
> allows you to run a console...have it detached, reattach at another
> location etc...
> -p

right, i got that...i guess my mail didn't make that clear - i was
just trying to show that running "screen" or "window" is different
than ssh multiplexing...different tools for separate actions...i
don't think multiplexing and screen really can be compared... screen
is great for, say, irc'ing and ssh multiplexing works well when you
develop/work on a remote box.

$0.02

--
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>