[nycbug-talk] Datacenter Question

G.Rosamond george
Tue Jul 27 17:41:43 EDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 12:18 PM, Jesse Callaway wrote:

> make sure to ask some hard hitting questions in the area of The Big
> Blackout etc. Ask how many kilowatt hours they have of backup juice.
> If they can't say, they didn't buy anything.... it's just building
> power. Ask if you can see their bandwidth stats from their ISPsesses
> website.
> ask to look under the floor to see if the cabling sucks
> ask to look at the modems, muxes or whatever where their feeds come
> in. Ie, if they say they have 8 redundant connections to teir-1
> backbones, then take a look. There needs to be at least 8 pieces of
> equipment going to 8 lines.
>
> If anything is impressive it's expensive. Go for people who know what
> they are doing, not a white room.

All very relevant issues, Jesse. . .

A few of us have visited a number of colo sites around Manhattan & Bk
over the past several months. . .

Many have been impressive. . .but for brilliant design and attention to
details Internap is second to none. . .I highly recommend visiting
their facilities in downtown Manhattan and listening to their sales
engineer type spiel.

Apparently, they were reselling power back to ConEd during either the
blackout or 9/11, I can't remember which one. . .That how amazing their
generators are. . .and they're not sitting up on the roof either. . .a
well-thought out and comprehensive setup.

I have been to many many places over the years too, and find something
neat and clean about Globix's setup. . .sure, lots of warts, but still
an interesting approach considering they are a tier iii isp. .
.Although haven't been to the Centre street facility in a few years. .
.

Also, be sure to meet with Alex at Pilosoft.com. . .He's the patron
facility of the user groups in NYC, and truly insightful in discussions
on the matter.  I've cc'd him if he's not yet on the talk list. .
.(which he *should* be already!)