[nycbug-talk] those pesky error messages

Charles Sprickman spork
Thu Jul 29 17:53:28 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:

> Thanks Scott,
>
> You are correct, in his reply to my post, Jesse Callaway suggested hitting
> shift-F2, etc... which I interpreted to mean "alt-F2", etc. which enables
> you to switch between virtual terminals.

That does work during the install; ALT-F2 will give you the sysintall
debug screen.  BUT if you are running sysinstall post-install, I've not
yet figured out where exactly the debug output should show up.

> I was switching between all the terminals (all 7 of them) but was unable to
> see anything looked like a debug screen..

Yep.

> Hopefully you're correct in your prediction.  I'm quite enjoying FreeBSD...
> it's hard for me to describe but it definitely seems to have a more
> 'serious' or 'grave' mein than Linux...

"Organized" and "Unified" and "an entire OS not made out of bits and
pieces" come to mind as well. :)

You might want to try using the "pkg_add" tool to add those packages and
see if that works.  If it doesn't, it will certainly give you a more
meaningful error message.

Charles