[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

G.Rosamond george
Fri Jul 30 22:05:13 EDT 2004

On Jul 30, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Dru wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a outline of making FreeBSD a useful desktop.  It's
>> aimed at those

>> <snip>
>

> Out of curiosity, why the focus on the light-weight window managers? I
> was an XFCE fan myself, until I could afford a PC with enough RAM and
> CPU to comfortably run KDE. Build KDE's metaport and you already have
> 85% of the desktop stuff you'd ever want to use...

Of course. . .the angle I'm thinking is the everyday Unix-like system
user who wants to *try* a BSD, and I feel like KDE would be cheating. .
.<g> Also, this is for someone without the necessary hardware. . .ie,
second machine. . .

And I'd hate KDE. . .way too clunky for me. . .I intend to provide some
useful temples, including .rc files. ..

> As for fave utilities: gimp, firefox, OpenOffice (only for
> compatability with coworkers), Abiword (because I prefer something
> more lightweight), numlockx (because it sucks to have to press the
> numlocks key), xmms, ogle, gkrellm, and scrot. Plus all my network
> toys, but not every desktop user is a network geek...

Good list. . .thanks. .  .