[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

Scott Robbins scottro
Sat Jul 31 00:49:10 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:41:23AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> For word processing, I use OpenOffice--I basically just need
> compatibility with MS .doc and .xls formats and I also need Japanese.
> I've only been able to print Japanese using OpenOffice--last time I
> tried, AbiWord wouldn't even enable me to properly input it.  As this is
> an infrequent need, I keep meaning to put in Abiword again, just to keep
> for simply .doc format when I don't need Japanese or other features of
> OpenOffice.  Again, FreeBSD is a bit behind Linux--OpenOffice now has a
> version 1.2 (and a 2.x snapshot--though I've heard that is back to being
> slow)  1.2 does seem much faster than the 1.1 versions.  Trying to do it
> from ports is a major nuisance, and openoffice.org does have a package
> for 1.1.2, which is a bit faster than 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 (which is, IIRC,
> the latest offered through ports).

Oops, see I was in error here--I'd written there was a version 1.2.x
which there isn't--openoffice.org's FreeBSD version is now on the same
level as Linux's, 1.1.2.  It does seem faster than previous versions,
but (subjective opinion) does seem to open a bit faster in Linux than in
FreeBSD--however, the difference is minor, perhaps a second or so.
Also, as they're all on different boxes, not sure how much of this is
simply due to hardware.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Then why with the crazy?
Riley: Because I'm so in love with you I can't think straight.