[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

Scott Robbins scottro
Sat Jul 31 12:45:54 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:53:16AM -0400, pete wright wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2004, at 9:05 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:
>
> >I'm working on a outline of making FreeBSD a useful desktop.  It's
> >

> That's about it, must of the "real" utilities i use are in a shell
> anyway.  I've tried using OOo, but really think it's over kill for my
> admin duties.  Abiword has no problems with .doc formats and gnumeric I
> think is better than Excell, and I read somewhere that it's infact more
> precise than excell....

Yes, I would use it were it not for the need for Japanese.

> For me it's really the tabbed shells that won me over with using GNOME
> or KDE.  You can use tab's in gnome-term, but it's kinda crappy
> compared to konsole.  if you have not tried it out, the default
> shortcut is ctl+shift+t to make a new tab, and shift+left/right arrow
> key moves from tab to tab.

Just for fun, you might try materm, another x-terminal with tabs.
(I prefer separate terminals myself, and fluxbox allows me to move them
around the screen with a keystroke combo)

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Riley: I thought maybe we could have a little spread. Sandwiches,
maybe some ants. Could be fun.
Buffy: We were talking about a picnic?
Riley: Oh... so, was that a conversation I actually had or one I
was just practicing?