[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

Okan Demirmen okan
Sat Jul 31 15:33:19 EDT 2004

On Sat 2004.07.31 at 15:14 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> > <shameless spam>
> > Some friends of mine and I are working on a series of QND (as in
> > quick-n-dirty) guides--we threw in one about screen.
>
> http://qnd-guides.org/qnd-screen.html

i know this is getting OT, but i'd like to throw my $.02 out here.

nothing against anything/anyone, but i've seen screen mentioned
many times on this list.  i like screen and use screen mainly for
interactive processes, such as screening my irc sessions; however,
i believe it should not be a replacement for nohup - as admins gain
experience, they will find that they will need to use the standard
utitilies on a unix/unix-like system to get to the "final" state....in
other words, i say learn to use the standard utils, existant in all
OS's / shells, first, then find the nice "addon" tools later.
(*bsd/sunos/solaris/hpux/aix/linux/etc......) far too many times
have i seen admins expect to use tools that simply do not exist on
stock/custom builds that are not their own - and then even in dire
times....

ok, way off-topic: -$.02

okan

--