[nycbug-talk] some OS X questions... XDarwin

George Georgalis george
Tue Jun 1 19:36:09 EDT 2004

For such a cool "retail" system, I've seen a heck of a lot of quirks. I
know OS X is cool cause for most people, all that unix stuff *works*
with gui, maybe it's just *me* that needs command line, I'm the last one
to prefer gui, but my issues have sensible once I figured what they are.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking I'd take a look if there was an
nsswitch file, but I was answering questions like "what are you doing to
my mac" when the answer was "this is a command line" and got distracted.

So, I did manage to get open office running, after I discovered I had
to make a system lib keyboard directory and put a USA.keyboard file, I
downloaded, in there, whew.  But, I wasn't about to start explaining twm
to a novice.  So, is sawfish available? what XDarwin window managers do
people recommend? From where? ...I don't really have an opportunity to
experiment. It looks like there is something to interface the Mac X API
but I couldn't get that to work, was I just missing something?

// George