[nycbug-talk] virtual users and ftp/scp/rsync-ssh

Roland C. Dowdeswell elric
Wed Jun 2 17:31:45 EDT 2004

George Georgalis wrote:

>Was reading over that.  I normally use linux, it looks like FreeBSD
>'jail' and linux 'chroot' commands provide roughly the same
>functionality, with better networking support with FreeBSD jail.
>
>Is there a separate BSD 'chroot' command that provides different
>functionality than the 'jail' command?

On a system call level, from the NetBSD chroot(2) man page:

STANDARDS
     The chroot() function conforms to X/Open System Interfaces and Headers
     Issue 5 (``XSH5''), with the restriction that the calling process' work-
     ing directory must be at or under the new root directory.  Otherwise, the
     working directory is silently set to the new root directory; this is an
     extension to the standard.

     chroot() was declared a legacy interface, and subsequently removed in
     IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'').

There is also a chroot(8) which appeared in 4.4BSD (1993?).

So, short form, yes the BSDs do have chroot.  I think that pretty
much all UNIX and UNIX-like OSes have chroot unless you look for
quite odd ones.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/