[nycbug-talk] kernels

Pete Wright pete
Thu Jun 3 18:06:02 EDT 2004

Roland C. Dowdeswell wrote:

>On 1086299387 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
>Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>>On Jun 3, 2004, at 5:34 PM, Roland C. Dowdeswell wrote:

>>>There are things that you do not want to allow even root to do
>>>without dropping into single user mode on the console.  And you
>>>have to disable LKM loading in order to get there.  E.g. on NetBSD
>>>in secure level > 0, root cannot grovel the PCI bus and directly
>>>access hardware, write to immutable files, etc.
>>>

>>Sure, but that is completely orthogonal to *having* LKM.  It's very
>>easy to have a kill-switch sysctl that turns it off until the next
>>reboot.
>>

>Yes, of course.  I was just pointing out that one of your assertions,
>``root can do whatever he wants anyway'' is not entirely accurate.
>I was not arguing that a switch to turn off LKM loading would not
>solve the issue, in fact that's how NetBSD deals with it.  LKMs
>are not allowed to be loaded or unloaded in securelevel > 0.

how does setting the securelevel in NetBSD work?  i'm not very familiar
with it :(  Is this a boot time option, or kernel compiletime option?
I'd assume setting security levels ala sysctl would not be the best
thing.  If someone get's root, then can alter sysctl parms. etc....

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~
Pete Wright