[nycbug-talk] USENIX + CACert

Bob Ippolito bob
Thu Jun 10 12:05:37 EDT 2004

I don't think I'm going to be able to make USENIX this year, but one
thing I've heard about that particularly interests me is that the whole
CAcert crew is going to be there.  CAcert is the "Community-Oriented
and Driven Certificate Authority".  Basically, they're trying to do
what Thawte, Verisign, etc. does, but offer the services for free.
They offer email, server, and most recently code signing certificates.

The 'problem' with CAcert (other than the fact that operating systems
don't yet trust its root cert by default), is that in order to be fully
authorized (get 2 year certs, name on email cert, etc.) you need to be
verified by an existing member with assurer (or better) status.
Unfortunately, there aren't ANY assurers in the NYC area!  Since these
are the board members, anyone certified by them is immediately granted
assurer status.  So, for those of you going, it would be awesome if you
signed up for CAcert and got yourself assured, and we could have a
little "key-signing party" at the end of the next nycbug meeting.  If
three nycbug members become assured by board members, then that is
enough to assign >100 points to new people, who can then assure each
other, so that nycbug'er (who wants it) should be able to end up with
full assurer status (assuming there's about 6 people who are
interested, possibly less if I do the math).

-bob