[nycbug-talk] Help getting FreeBSD current to boot (5.2.1 release does work)

pete wright pete
Sun Jun 13 13:56:53 EDT 2004

On Jun 13, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Jonathan wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> On 13 Jun 2004 at 11:08, Jonathan wrote:
>>> Wold anyone be willing to help me get a -current kernel to boot on
>>> my computer?  As the subject says 5.2.1-release boots fine but any
>>> recent (within a month +) -current fails to boot successfully.  I
>>> can test any patches etc. the machine is just sitting right now
>>> while I try to get it to work.  I don't have a null modem cable and
>>> really don't want to pay Radioshack prices for one but I will if I
>>> need to.  I'm located on FT Drum if anyone is willing to help in
>>> person and lives nearby or knows someone nearby who may help.  I'd
>>> really like to get FreeBSD -current running because I want to stick
>>> with 5.x and 5.2.1 release has several known security issues.  I
>>> will probably switch to -stable when it becomes 5-stable.

i'm game to help you out but i think the folks on the list would need a
bit more info your setup, like hardware specs etc.  also if you could
post the output of a "dmesg."  also, are you trying to boot off GENERIC
or is this a custom kernel?  If custom, try booting off GENERIC.
finally, i would post the "uname" of the release that boots fine.

-p