[nycbug-talk] Help getting FreeBSD current to boot (5.2.1 release does work)

Jonathan jonathan.michael.stewart
Sun Jun 13 15:06:39 EDT 2004

pete wright wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2004, at 2:21 PM, Jonathan wrote:
>
>> pete wright wrote:

>>> i'm game to help you out but i think the folks on the list would
>>> need a bit more info your setup, like hardware specs etc.  also
>>> if you could post the output of a "dmesg."  also, are you trying
>>> to boot off GENERIC or is this a custom kernel?  If custom, try
>>> booting off GENERIC.  finally, i would post the "uname" of the
>>> release that boots fine. -p
>>
>> Booting GENERIC 5.2.1 and trying GENERIC -current
>>
>> The computer is a Pentium I 233MHz with 128MB RAM (My desktop has
>> problems too but the 233 computer will be dedicated to FreeBSD so I
>>  want to get it working first).  I have a site I can post anything
>> on to avoid large on-list messages as well if that would be better
>> for this list.  I will post a transcription of the error messages
>> and a boot -v later but I'm in the middle of a 12 hour
>> buildworld/buildkernel (trying -current dated 5 May 2004 to see if
>> that works).
>>
> thanks for the info, also when you boot with newer builds where does
> the boot process hang?  I noticed some error messages relating to an
> ATA disk, altho i am not sure those are just diagnostics or what yet.

The ATA messages may have something to do with the fact I have a pair of
hard drives on an IDE cable but not powered, just guessing there.  I can
actually make it into single user mode but as soon as I try ANY command,
valid or otherwise, sh crashes.  It crashes on its own going into
multiuser mode.  How hard would it be to do a buildworld for a Pentium
233 on my Athlon XP desktop?  I should just need to NFS mount /usr/obj
and /usr/src to do the installkernel and installworld correct?  Also my
messages seem to not be properly wrapped when I send them but they look
fine while composing are they OK (Using Thunderbird 0.6)?

Thanks,
Jonathan