[nycbug-talk] CF card for soekris boxen

William Lam antitoch
Sat Jun 19 15:43:39 EDT 2004

You can also try a metrocard to help you pry the iPod's metal back off.
Work the metrocard into the groove between the plastic and metal
sections to separate the latches. Long fingernails also help. Oh and
gobs of patience.

As for the CF card, I've run NetBSD off a 512MB CF card on my IBM z50
for a few years now, no problems yet with it. The issue with flash
having only a limited number of writes, while valid is grossly
overstated IMO. The number of writes is something on the order of
100,000 _per block_ and most CF cards are capable to distributing writes
evenly. Apparently people don't give as much attention to the fact that
hard drives don't retain 100% of their storage capacity over their
lifetimes either. A bad block on a CF card for some reason gets much
more criticism than a bad block on magnetic media or a scratch on
optical media.

Will

http://www.pcmicrostore.com//PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10501216

found through pricewatch,
http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?&CiBookMark=N-28be6a0
-4b1a42
-1&cr=COMPACT%20FLASH%20CF%20Card%202gb&qc=%22COMPACT%22%2A%20AND%20%22F

LASH%22%2A%20AND%20%22CF%22%2A%20AND%20%22CARD%22%2A%20AND%20%222GB%22%2

A&CiBookmarkSkipCount=15&r=15

--
Anyhow, thought I'd shout out to the list because these looked pretty
darned inexpensive to me, but I don't know squat about CF cards, so any

comments/experiences are much appreciated...  Do these things look
sane?  Are CF cards even the way to go when building network
firewalls/routers (and space for even full size HD's is no big
deal...)- Are they actually easier to work with than HD's?

August meeting should be fun answering some of this stuff... (In the
meantime I'm staring at my old iPod sitting next to a torx
driver on the desk here...)

Rocket-
.ike