[nycbug-talk] tar question

Pete Wright pete
Sat Jun 19 20:34:29 EDT 2004

Okan Demirmen wrote:

>On Sat 2004.06.19 at 18:39 -0500, Pete Wright wrote:
>

>>I have a wierd question about "tar".  how is the order of what it put
>>into the archive dictated?  I assumed it was alphabetic, but I've been
>>putting a file to tape and is not in alpha order.  It's not like it
>>matters really but I was woundering if anyone has some insight to this.
>>the man page does not shed any light into this.
>>

>should be order of addition to archive file.
>
>okan

understood, but I just tar'd a dir with about 300-400 dirs/files in it.
so if i tar ala:

tar cvf /dev/nsa0 /path/to/foo/

I noticed that the things were not in alpha order.  I double checked the
output and it didn't look like any pattern, unless it was by size maybe,
but i don't think that was the case either.  i also would have thought
that it would be in the same pattern as when you do a "ls" (i.e.
letters/case/alpha etc).  that wasn't the case either...wierd

-p