[nycbug-talk] SNMP for knowledgable newcomers

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Mon Jun 28 21:07:15 EDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:28:48 -0400
Jesse Callaway <jesse at theholymountain.com> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2004, at 6:19 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:
>

> > On Jun 28, 2004, at 6:05 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
> >
> >> Hey All,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone had the skinny on some good starter
> >> resources for using SNMP.  I've got some hardware I want to
> >monitor, > (starting with my DSL router and a switch), and want to
> >dive into > SNMP carefully and securely.
> >>
> >> I hate to bug the list with something which may be so trivial, but
> >> there's just SOOOO much SNMP resources out there, and I'm a bit
> >> overloaded/confused by it all...
> >>
> >> Can anyone toss me some URL bones?
> >>

> > /net/net-snmp
> > make install
> >
> > good start. . .
> >
> > that booked we both picked up at lesmuug is very useful . .

> grab 'snmpwalk' and use 'public' as the community string on almost
> anyone's router (your NAT box?) and you'll have something to work with

It is sad to see some things never change.

I would also recommend net-snmp.sf.net and the following book, it is
kinda
deep though:

SNMP, SNMPv2, SNMPv3, and RMON 1 and 2 (3rd Edition)

by Stallings

marc

ps the real trick to snmp is understanding the mibs, much more so then
the tools.

marc