[nycbug-talk] noob questions

mlists at bizintegrators.com mlists
Mon May 3 01:22:52 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 06:26:24PM -0400, Tilly wrote:
> Hey
>
> Yea i see a lot of similiarities between ports and ports. But with portage
> all i needed to do was emerge (package name) with out going into the
> directory was located and i could do emerge sync which will update portage.
> With ports i need to go into the directory where the port is actually
> located and in some cases i need to get more ports to solve the dependency
> because the port is not on the machine. It is kind of annoying sometimes.

You could get all the ports for example, then you wouldn't need to get
one by one. Get entire /usr/ports, and make install of a port will do
dependencies for you.

cd /usr/ports/something/dir is not very difficult for me, and I doubt
this will every change just so you can type it from somewhere else.

You could also do pkg_add from ftp site and it will get all
dependencies for you as well.

The way to go with this is to adapt to the ports system, not to try to
make it look like something else.

-bruno