[nycbug-talk] [Fwd: Security Threat Watch 028]

Pete Wright pete
Tue May 11 15:06:44 EDT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 11, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>
>> Pete Wright wrote:

>>> no i'm not.  sorry.
>>

>> what other crossplatform, mostly open (via samba) network file system
>> would you suggest?
>

> You said "most OSX shops", if it's an OS X shop, you don't care about
> using a protocol that would interop with something else.  In my
> experience, when you have macs talking to macs you use AFP, otherwise
> you use SMB.  You have to go out a little bit out of your way on every
> client and server to use something other than AFP if they're both
> macs.  There is no very compelling reason to move away from AFP.

hey i'm an OSX shop, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't take into
consideration how things are gonna grow in the future.  I guess the
argument against afp, despite all of it's positive aspects, is that
people are now free to move away from it and use more open
technologies.  i was just assuming most people were i guess.  doesn't
seem to crazy to me...

-pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~