[nycbug-talk] [Fwd: Security Threat Watch 028]

Trish Lynch trish
Tue May 11 15:10:32 EDT 2004

> If you're an OS X shop that forces everyone into using SMB, you're just
> making your life more difficult.
>
> LDAP is a central directory for metadata, not files, what does that
> have to do with anything?
>
> Apple has no obvious plans of moving to another filesharing protocol
> for their default.  They currently support WebDAV, SMB, NFS, and AFP,
> so the people who want cake can eat it too.
>
> By the way, AFP is a perfectly open technology.  There are open source
> (cross-platform!) implementations, and UNLIKE SMB, the wire protocol is
> publicly documented by the originator, Apple.  I'm not saying it's an
> ideal protocol, but it does what it does well, and it supports the
> platform you're using a whole hell of a lot better than SMB does, so it
> would make your life easier if you used it.  None of the filesharing
> protocols have a history of being secure, and in fact, I would say that
> AFP has the most pristine record of the bunch, so security isn't a real
> good reason either.

sure, but its also a very chatty protocol, which is enough to generally
steer me away from it.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16