[nycbug-talk] [Fwd: Security Threat Watch 028]

Pete Wright pete
Tue May 11 16:50:34 EDT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> If you're an OS X shop that forces everyone into using SMB, you're just
>>> making your life more difficult.

yea i disagree here, sorry.

>> sure, but its also a very chatty protocol, which is enough to generally
>> steer me away from it.
>

> Are you sure you're not talking about AppleTalk, the network layer
> that AFP doesn't depend on or even typically use in OS X?

so what does OS X use now on the "network" layer?
here's an interesting link regarding AppleTalk and the OSI layers:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/Networking/Networking-21.html

> Even if it *were* particularly chatty, the protocol was originally
> designed a long time ago.  Could it even have a remotely possible
> chance of bogging down your 100mbit or faster ethernet?

yes, yes it can.  it's happend to me a couple times actually.

i've spent far too much time trying to debug AppleTalk problems during
the OS8/9 days to even go back to that situation.  now i'm really
curious tho, i'd like to see some comparisons between afp over appletalk
vs. non-appletalk.  does it run as quickly, what about the overhead etc...

-pete