[nycbug-talk] [Fwd: Security Threat Watch 028]

Pete Wright pete
Tue May 11 17:44:13 EDT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> yea i disagree here, sorry.
>

> Obviously, it's hard to say that the time you've invested in making
> sure that only this more "open" protocol is supported hasn't bought
> you  more than resource fork ugliness, mysterious long file transfer
> interruptions, filename handling peculiarities, and permission
> issues.   Most of these things can probably be worked around, but that
> takes time  that would've probably been better spent leaving things to
> AFP for an  "OS X shop".

couple things then i gotta work ;)  i don't rely on smb.  sorry if it
came out like that.  frankly i use the best tool for the job at hand.
nine times outta ten it's nfs.

    now, do i run a "pure" apple shop.  no, aside from home users and
apple corp. i can't think of any apple only shops.   in fact i would
argue that it would be a bad thing to rely on a single technology/vendor
for anything.  thank god steve figured that out and let's me mix and
match all sorts of crazy things like smb/nfs/sneaker-net(that's my
favorite)/afp to get things working.
    from what i've seen working at various places in the city is that
people are using OSX on the desktop and building a cheap linux/bsd
fileservers for storage.  it works, takes less than a day to implement
and everyone is happy.  is it ideal?  no.  thank god, otherwise i'd
prolly be outta work ;^)

>>> Are you sure you're not talking about AppleTalk, the network layer
>>> that AFP doesn't depend on or even typically use in OS X?
>>

>> so what does OS X use now on the "network" layer?
>> here's an interesting link regarding AppleTalk and the OSI layers:
>>

>> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/Networking/Networking
>> -21.html
>

> TCP/IP / ZeroConf / Rendezvous / LDAP takes the place of AppleTalk.

which one is it by default?  i'm honestly interested.  i was under the
assumption that DDP("AppleTalk") was being used when i enable
"AppleTalk" in the OSX controll panel.  how else would OSX clients be
able to play with OS 8/9 clients and vice-versa?

>>> Even if it *were* particularly chatty, the protocol was originally
>>> designed a long time ago.  Could it even have a remotely possible
>>> chance of bogging down your 100mbit or faster ethernet?
>>

>> yes, yes it can.  it's happend to me a couple times actually.
>>
>> i've spent far too much time trying to debug AppleTalk problems
>> during  the OS8/9 days to even go back to that situation.  now i'm
>> really  curious tho, i'd like to see some comparisons between afp
>> over  appletalk vs. non-appletalk.  does it run as quickly, what
>> about the  overhead etc...
>

> You're talking about AppleTalk again, I was talking about AFP.  It's
> well known that AppleTalk is indeed chatty, but I haven't heard
> anyone  ever say that same of AFP.

yea i know i was.  still think it's interesting tho...

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~
Pete Wright