[nycbug-talk] OS X wireless sniffers and more. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Wed May 12 01:59:37 EDT 2004

Wordup all,

On May 11, 2004, at 7:28 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> Yes. . ..the first thing i did when i bought my ibook was enable
>> root, then put my login in the wheel group. . .and installed x11. .
>> .of course. . .
>
> Why did you enable root?  What's wrong with sudo?  I find sudo -s to
> be a more than suitable root login replacement.

Yeah- sudo is the bomb- no need for root at all.
(want a root shell?  $ sudo bash )

Much more sane, from a certain perspective- i.e., how many experienced
*nix admins have made an extremely costly mistake while logged in as
root?  Or, if root is enabled, a compromise could let one get it- :)

>> This is my first apple or os x hardware for my use, but i have to
>> say, i don't like that things run out of /opt/local/bin. . .blah.
>
> Blame darwinports, that's not Apple's fault.  I'm pretty sure that you
> can configure that location.

Edit /etc/ports/sources.conf to change the location.

Indeed you can build the ports wherever you want by defining the build
location, (i.e. /usr/local )  I LOVE this feature.  One can choose to
either separate the port installs into their own place in userland, or
one can integrate them tightly into the system.  Very *NIX-ish, IMHO.

Currently, I like to use ports purely for tryout/convenience purposes,
as any tool I choose to rely on I prefer to build from source myself-
so I'm ok with the /opt dir.  (once I even configured it for
/usr/local/opt/bin etc... blah to keep it somewhere I felt comfortable
with...)

Rocket-
.ike