[nycbug-talk] network protocols: lab time?

Trish Lynch trish
Wed May 12 08:53:27 EDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 May 2004 07:19 pm, you wrote:
>
> > We were talking about OS X, on the NYC BSD Users Group mailing list.
> > I'm not sure what the implementation details of the Linux kernel has to
> > do with that ;)
>
> This has nothing to do with linux.  The linux point was only evidence in
> favor of CIFS and SMB being substancially different.  I doubt the
> linux/samba guys would create another kernel module just for fun.

The file system specification for CIFS and SMB are essentially the same,
in fact, CIFS is just the new name for server message block network file
systems, the name was changed to reflect the fact that it was becoming
somewhat of a standard to "common internet file system". The improvements
in CIFS are minor and can be likended to the difference between NFSv2 and
NFSv3 :)

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16