[nycbug-talk] webup

Bob Ippolito bob
Wed May 12 13:45:07 EDT 2004

On May 12, 2004, at 1:18 PM, michael wrote:

> I'm half way through a writing a script to periodically check whether
> my
> web servers are responding to http and serving pages, when...
>
> 1. Somebody must have been here before, I'll check the web
> 2. Marc showed me to search ports!
> 3. I could just pay a service hundreds of dollars a month for this
>
> OK, the last one was a joke... true, but a joke... I didn't find
> anything, so I'll finish my script.  Besides, now I get to choose what
> cool features I want <grin>.

You probably searched for something too specific.. usually people need
to monitor more than just http, so the solutions out there are more
general.  The keywords you should be using are something like +(service
OR server OR network) +monitor

Here are some examples that I've actually heard of before, but I have
no experience with any of them:

Nagios: http://www.nagios.org/
Big Brother: http://bb4.com/
Slate: http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~jlewalle/state/