[nycbug-talk] Re: BSD HFS/HFS+ module

Jesse Callaway jesse
Wed May 19 12:58:25 EDT 2004

Yar Tikhiy wrote:

> Hi Jesse,
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:18:39PM -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>
>>Great job! I'm so excited that someone has been porting this code. Since
>

> Thank you!  It's a shame that I've had little time lately
> to dedicate to this project.
>

>>it seems to be specific to FreeBSD are you taking advantage of GEOM?
>

> Not explicitly.  Since GEOM is just a layer on the top of disks,
> everyone using block devices benefits from GEOM.  In particular,
> GEOM supports Apple's disk partitioning scheme, thus allowing to
> access Apple partitions as disk slice devices (/dev/da0s1 etc.)

I found some great tools for the Mac PPC users. 'hfsutils' allows for
manipulation of the HFS (not HFS+) fs. It is a suite of seperate user
utilities to do most things you'd want to. Platform agnostic.

   http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/

But this one takes the cake, and is the real influence for posting:

Native support in FreeBSD 5.2. Supports everything except doing the
actual journaling on journaled fs's.

  http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/

I obviously hadn't read the GEOM_APPLE module stuff when I wrote to Yar,
who is CC'd because I didn't tell him this was going on a mailing list.

I haven't tried either of these out. I'm busy with VMWare and OpenBSD
right now. I thought SCSI would be a more straightforward emulation than
IDE. Nevertheless I'm getting this horrible error:

   bha3: mbi not in round-robin order

on any of the disks which gets heavy use.

-jesse