[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

G.Rosamond george
Wed May 19 18:10:02 EDT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 6:06 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Wordemup all,
>
> On May 19, 2004, at 5:52 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:
>
>> Spoke to a vendor (GCS, who's rep is cc'd) and they are willing to
>> lend us hardware for any test scenario.
>
> Sweet!
>

>> I put out the idea of comparing FBSD with ipfw, NetBSD with ipf, and
>> OpenBSD with pf, but the dominant interest seemed to be around
>> networking protocols.
>
> Actually, agreed for the moment...  Seems like pf, with the new pfsync
> and carp mania is taking off in some new directions, so this could be
> more appropriate in a few months IMHO...  once folks have more
> familiarity with it all-

But the problem, again, is that it's not about CARP, etc, and the other
funky OBSD pf features.  We need to create a test environment, so we
have to have each variable controlled.  Not to sound like I just took
6th grade science. . .

>> One problem is that if we do want to include AFS, AppleTalk, etc,
>> we're comparing protocols on inherently difficult to compare
>> architectures.
>
> I'm in- and have enough experience to make the architectural
> differences relatively painless (i.e. I've got our back on mac).

But what are we comparing then?

>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Who is interested in taking a lead on this?
>
> I don't know about lead, but count me in.  If it's a lead that's
> necessary, I'll do it, but not until after next NYCBUG meeting can I
> commit the time.

I take that as volunteering. . . <g>