[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Mikel King mikel.king
Thu May 20 08:56:20 EDT 2004

Isaac Levy wrote:

> On May 19, 2004, at 10:54 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:
>
>>> So I'll keep volunteered if some folks get my back on this stuff... <g>
>>

>> I think the parameters need to be elaborated on the list, and then we
>> can worry about the setups.
>

> Agreed-
>
> To re-state some of my generalizing in my response to Sunny, this is
> the kind of thing I'm looking for out of this:
>
> - Sanity of setup and administration across various architectures
> - Network Verbosity vs. ease of use
> - Implimentation Sanity for different architectures, (i.e. perhaps,
> for example, the native SMB implementation on a given platform sucks,
> while it's awesome on a different platform)
> - General End User Experience (i.e. start a server runing one of the
> services, and test several laptops using the service with different OS's)
> - General NAS Use Experiences
> - Resilience to Network Failure (ohh- nfs can make FUN for client
> machines on various platforms :)
>

> That's my blabbing- somebody want to start another thread with a
> formal list of tests?
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

Have we found a suitable location yet?  I am working on a client of mine
who recently upgraded to allow me to take several of their old machines
in which case we could possibly use them for this lab experiment. If not
however; I happen to know that we are in the process of upgrading our
NOC and have several Proliant 800's that might prove useful as well, but
this all depends on timing.  Of course that leads to the second
possibility, our NOC while neither spacious nor...uh what's the correct
word I'm looking for here, um well let's just say that here at OCS looks
ain't everything. We could maybe shoe horn a group of engineers to
deploy these boxes. I have enough rack space and bw to get this going.

m!