[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Mikel King mikel.king
Thu May 20 10:10:30 EDT 2004

Pete Wright wrote:

> Mikel King wrote:
>
>> Isaac Levy wrote:

>>> Agreed-
>>>
>>> To re-state some of my generalizing in my response to Sunny, this is
>>> the kind of thing I'm looking for out of this:
>>>
>>> - Sanity of setup and administration across various architectures
>>> - Network Verbosity vs. ease of use
>>> - Implimentation Sanity for different architectures, (i.e. perhaps,
>>> for example, the native SMB implementation on a given platform
>>> sucks, while it's awesome on a different platform)
>>> - General End User Experience (i.e. start a server runing one of the
>>> services, and test several laptops using the service with different
>>> OS's)
>>> - General NAS Use Experiences
>>> - Resilience to Network Failure (ohh- nfs can make FUN for client
>>> machines on various platforms :)
>>>

>>> That's my blabbing- somebody want to start another thread with a
>>> formal list of tests?
>>>
>>> Rocket-
>>> .ike

>> Have we found a suitable location yet?  I am working on a client of
>> mine who recently upgraded to allow me to take several of their old
>> machines in which case we could possibly use them for this lab
>> experiment. If not however; I happen to know that we are in the
>> process of upgrading our NOC and have several Proliant 800's that
>> might prove useful as well, but this all depends on timing.  Of
>> course that leads to the second possibility, our NOC while neither
>> spacious nor...uh what's the correct word I'm looking for here, um
>> well let's just say that here at OCS looks ain't everything. We could
>> maybe shoe horn a group of engineers to deploy these boxes. I have
>> enough rack space and bw to get this going.
>>
>> m!
>

> wow, your NOC sounds pretty promising, i was going to offer my some
> space at my office, but it's quite crowded/dirty here.  i'd definatly
> be up from hacking on any equipment we do get...installs etc..
>
> -pete

As I said it ain't pretty...in fact  rustic comes to mind. But I would
ike to have 3 or 4 identical machines to build the test bed on, and a
MAC of course.

Win2k3?
Linux (flavor of the day)
FreeBSD 5.x
MAC OS 10.3
Netware? I might be able to aquire a NFR copy for testing...

Of course we would need a few volunteers to come int one evening and
fire these things off.

Obviously this all depends on if you want to ry it here....

cheers,
m!