[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Thu May 20 15:53:04 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 10:40 pm, ike wrote:

> I think from this kind of testing, we can come up with a boatload of
> really useful information- but I believe it would be a real waste of
> time to run this benchmark style, even as the same hardware can perform
> very differently with different *nixes.

I think you are attempting to test too much.

I wouldn't mind seeing some raw numbers primarily because I haven't seen a
good set in a while, and because when i do see them, they usually are crap
cuz the tester forgot to do simple things like enlarge the network buffer,
etc.

We all know OS-X is going to win the GUI battle.  And that the three BSDs
are going to tie each other for CLI mastery.

However raw numbers aren't so bad.  First because I haven't seen numbers
comparing all 3 major BSDs together for sometime.  Secondly because when
most people do test, I've always noticed that they manage to leave out
stupid simple shit like creating a custom kernel or increasing the network
buffer size.

Additionally we all know that the BSDs are different.  I'd be interested in
seeing how that difference plays up in simulated real world usage.  ie:  If
FreeBSD's support for SMP helps it, while Obsd lack of SPM hurts it. etc
etc etc ( http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/ nifty hacks)

> Invite:
> Sunny- since your a Mandrake user, and a very knowledgeable Linux user
> and developer, would you be interested in participating and following
> our testing with a Linux or a few relevant Linuxes of your choosing?

thats fine.  I can use various live CDs and write a script to generate lots
of network activity.

> It is outside of our scope to be able to include a Linux as anything
> more than perhaps a client in our test network,

thats fine as well

Sunny Dubey