[nycbug-talk] lists...was Lab environment

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Sat May 22 00:07:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:26:34 -0400
Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2004, at 11:10 AM, Pete Wright wrote:
>
> > it's all 6 of one, half a dozen of the other(technically speaking).
> > i would search the archives, around the feb time frame, to see what
> > was discussed.  i tend to agree with Dan tho, all of my BSD lists
> > and most of my other lists adhere to this behaviour.  maybe it's
> > just another emacs v. vi flame fest.
>
> I'm probably subscribed to about 40 lists, and I can only think of 2
> that do reply-to munging...

And there is a good reason for that, when you rewrite the Reply-To:
header with the list address every bounced message goes to the list
and then gets sent to the list, bounces again and goes to the list...
That really sucks and on large lists or with poorly designed software
you can fill your mailbox or get a big bill from your service provider
going way over your bandwidth limit, etc.  IT just seems like a good
idea.

marc