[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD 3.5 install on IBM Thinkpad 360X

mlists at bizintegrators.com mlists
Sat May 22 16:41:06 EDT 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 04:19:28PM -0400, Josh McCormack wrote:

> G. Rosamond wrote:
> >
> >On May 22, 2004, at 12:22 PM, Josh McCormack wrote:
> >
> >>Anyone have any experience installing any OS to an IBM Thinkpad 360X?
> >>It has no CD-ROM, and an external floppy. When I tried using the
> >>OpenBSD 3.5 laptop floppy boot disk I got this:

> >>ERR R
> >>
> >>Josh
> >>

> >Let me be more helpful Josh.
> >
> >This happens while it's reading from the floppy?
> >
> >1.  make sure you're using a decent floppy.  I had a box of 50 compusa
> >floppies a while back, and none of them were good.
> >
> >2.  do a low level format of the floppy on a UNIX box.  This will reveal
> >the errors that won't show up during a Win32 format.

> I did a format using a Knoppix disk, and it looked like it verified fine
> and the write was good. Here's a line by line of what I did once I
> downloaded the laptop floppy disk from OpenBSD's FTP site:
>
> fdformat /dev/fd0
> cd /ramdisk/home/knoppix
> dd if=floppyC35.fs of=/dev/fd0 bs=32k
>
> But I still got the same error, as it was trying to load the floppy.

Only every 4th floppy I try works with OpenBSD boot floppies, but they
all look fine after dd (no [media] errors).

I think you should listen to George and try some other floppies.

If you have any Microsoft floppies, they are the best. Also most other
official or driver floppies from big companies work pretty good.

-bruno