[nycbug-talk] eurobsdcon

Brown, James Jim JBrown
Mon May 24 09:50:04 EDT 2004

I don't know of any 'one-size-fits-all' software testing suite.
I do know of projects that have formed their own test suites
and make them available- some right in the project Makefile
as I noted above.  But not every project does this.  'make test'
is not universally adopted.

The point I'm trying to emphasize here is that spotty testing
must go away.  Open Source needs rigorous testing if it is going
to seriously compete with commercial products.

Of course, the specific tests would vary by project.  A web proect
needs network based web testing, while a graphics project needs
a lot of graphics.  What's common is that they both have large
code bases that can be modularly (is that a word?) tested.
The modularized frameworks would cover the standard 'unit,
integration, system' tests in their own way.

Perhaps a branding scheme-
'Project Foo conforms to Open Source Test Framework v. 1.0'
with a spiffy logo would work.  Personally, I'd rather see
somethat like that instead of 'Powered by Foo'.

Best Regards,
Jim B.

PS- I'm not a testing engineer, but I have done a fair
amount of software development over the years.  I've developed
my own tests for my own code, and in a few cases, I've had to
endure the rigors submitting it to a larger enterprise test
environment.  It was a helpful experience, though somewhat
painful.

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer. Thank you.  ThruPoint, Inc.