[nycbug-talk] Help!!! (server problems...)

mlists at bizintegrators.com mlists
Mon May 24 11:50:21 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:21:41AM -0400, Kit Halsted wrote:
> Hey, NYCBUG folks:
>
> I'm having some problems with one of my servers & I'm running out of
> ideas on how to fix it. It's an Athlon 1.8GHz box running OpenBSD 3.3
> & it crashes every few days. Lately, it doesn't want to come back up.
> Nothing in the logs & it doesn't seem to be crashing under load, just
> losing power once in a while for no apparent reason. It was happening
> around 6:30-7:00 AM at first, but it died some time after 6:00 PM &
> before 1:30 AM yesterday. Nothing in the logs seems to point to
> hardware, losing power seems to point to the power supply, but it's
> still happening with a brand new 480W Antec PS...

Check your BIOS settings, make sure your printer port is being seen
fine by OpenBSD, and that you don't get any "stray interupt 7"
messages, look while you boot or scan your messages for those.

It could be your disk controler, which one do you have? Which driver
does it use? Is this a "brand" name box?

Also it could be your disk(s), if they are SCSI check then in SCSI prom.
Are they raided (hardware)?

Does it write to the console when it freezes? Or nothing, just a hard
freeze?

> Basically, all I can think to do is replace the motherboard at this
> point. I'm wondering:
>
> 1. if anyone can think of anything else that might be responsible for
> these problems &

It can overheat without load. Make sure your fan is good enough. You
can monitor the temperature in BIOS for some time, if possible (cause
server is down), and see if it gets into the "red" numbers.

> 2. if anybody can suggest a good place in the city to pick up a new
> Socket-A mobo.

Which motherboard do you have?

-bruno