[nycbug-talk] NYCLAB?

G.Rosamond george
Mon May 24 23:32:09 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 12:25 AM, Pete Wright wrote:

> Mikel King wrote:
>

>> All I am trying to do is get us a lab to work in for right now, and
>> to possibly get the base systems completed as quickly as possible so
>> that we can then take application for lab time...sounds too much like
>> college but I am certain that we would all agee this this will
>> require some sort of structure if we are to pull it off. I made the
>> initial request to my client for the loaner boxes. And I am working
>> on some space here at OCS for hosting them. Since most of the initial
>> testing wont require any real b/w it will not be a serious problem.
>> once the machines are aquired and setup then  we will define the
>> experiments, and grant remote access.
>

> yea i totally agree!

Onsite is probably a better deal, since we can pull others around, and
make it a collective learning experience, IMO.

>> No sense having to crowd around the machines to get the job done
>> right. Of course if you are buying, the pizza and beer then I'm
>> game...;-)
>>
>> I think that now would be the time to decide which OSes/rev we are
>> going to use a test platforms. I will supply and setup Win2k3 and
>> fBSD5.x, but will definately need help with nBSD and oBSD, as well as
>> any MAC stuff should we get lucky enough to find a matched class of
>> machine.
>>
> i'm game working on oBSD.  regarding mac, i was just thinking about
> that.  george do you think apple would be kind enough to lend us a osx
> server for some tests.  i.e. if we could say "apple, we would like to
> benchmark osx against linux and the rest of the bsd's next week" do
> you think they would lend us a machine for this purpose?  who knows,
> it might be good publicity for them ;^)

I doubt it. . .I don't think it's that easy for them to get the
hardware for those purposes.

We're still waiting on the Xserve expo for their end.

>> Of course this could all be premature if the client isn't willing to
>> part with these machines even for a limitted basis. Think positivly,
>> because how often do you stumble across a batch of identical
>> hardware.
>>
> positive ;)  altho, if it falls through i'm sure we can gather some
> money (donations, raffle's etc.) to purchase white boxes or
> something...

As I stated earlier on this, I have a vendor who will loan us several
identical machines.  They won't be Piv or Xenon boxes, but they will be
adequate for our purposes.

I really don't think borrowing boxes from a client is necessary.