[nycbug-talk] Lab environment

Isaac Levy ike
Tue May 25 05:40:06 EDT 2004

Mikel:

On May 20, 2004, at 10:20 PM, Mikel King wrote:

> Well I had thought of that as well, and thought it might be nice to do
> side by side comparisons and keep the hardware as similar as possible.
> I will attempt aquiring the workstations next week when I visit said
> client. I think they would make a good test bed because they are
> absolutely identical down to the screws...;-) Well ok some harddisks
> have changed over the years but vid, mlb, nic ram cpu their identical.
> they are pII450's as I recall. Would MAC G3 be close to that in
> performance, because I have one of those as well. Sorry only running @
> 100bt. But I think that would be representative of most sites, well
> the average ones anyway.

I LOVE this.  slow rigs == molasses (and fun to watch) results.

Noteworthy though, with regard to the Mac, there is a definate line
which is drawn for contemporary Darwin/OSX/OSXServer installs, and a
PPC machine which would be comparable to a pII450 I don't believe will
run Darwin/OSX...

which brings me back to this thought:

On May 25, 2004, at 5:26 AM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> I only bring this up because the threads that started this whole
> thing, dove madly into NFS vs. AFP...
>
> At this moment, the list of protocols is over here:
> http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/talk/2004-May/001414.html

Rocket-
.ike