[nycbug-talk] silly snarf tricks

Pete Wright pete
Wed May 26 23:18:15 EDT 2004

Mikel King wrote:

>    A while back I was playing around with snarf which is a command
> line utility for pulling web content...Ok so no real big deal there
> FreeBSD has fetch which does the same thing. However snarf is cool in
> that you can drop a switch that tells it to return a precompiled
> HTTP_USER_AGENT.
>
>    Now aside from messing with my web developers heads a bit, cause I
> modified the code to return a (Mozilla 5; on a Banana Jr 2000...) and
> lately I've changed it to match my FreeBSD 5.1 install on my laptop.
> Then I scripted it in a cron job to run once a minute and grab 5 pages
> from our company website. OK this really screwed with the web
> stats...but it was harmless fun. I mean we now get 3800 hits per day
> from a machine pretending to be Mozilla 1.6 on FreeBSD 5.1.
>
>    I guess what I am wondering is if anyone can devise a praticle use
> for this?
>
>    I did use it to scriptout a daily pull of the intelligent updater
> from Symantec, and place it into my companies ftp server. But that's
> really nothing magical...

hey who said messing with web devs was not a practicle use ;)  seriously
tho, i would imagine that this was developed to help get past buggy
sites that only allow IE/NT to access files.  do you think it would
allow you grab files from windows update?  prolly not tho b/c of all the
ActiveX scripts etc...

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~