[nycbug-talk] BSD in the enterprise....

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Sat May 29 19:30:31 EDT 2004

I wasn't going to reply, so I'll just clarify a few things  (single response
to both posts)

On Saturday 29 May 2004 02:03 am, Nigel Clarke wrote:
> What will it take to have *BSD in use in corporate environments?
> was not successful until companies like Solaris and IBM started to
> endorse it.

Solaris isn't a company, its a competing product of Sun Microsystems.  Sun
has had a love/hate relationship with linux.

[...]

On Saturday 29 May 2004 02:39 am, G.Rosamond wrote:

> The vendor question is also important, as you raised it.  Because of
> BSD licensing, there's no need for a vendor to advertise the code being
> at the core of their closed source and or embedded system.  Snap
> Appliances, for instance, broadcasts that one of its product lines runs
> on Linux.  But try to find on their www site that their other product
> line uses BSD.  I tried it once, but it was fruitless.

There is not advertising clause in GPL either.  In fact its the adveritising
clause of the original BSD license that RMS speaks out against
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html), and its the same reason why
projects like GnuTLS started (because OpenSSL has an advertising clause).

> Woah, it's late. . .

Yeah, doesn't your wife worry about late nite hacking ?! haha

Sunny Dubey